Hunting FAQs

COVID-19 response: temporary closures

The Government of Alberta has temporarily closed front counters at all Fish and Wildlife offices across the province.

  • You can contact Fish and Wildlife offices using the phone numbers listed on the Fish and Wildlife - Contacts page.
  • For recreational sportfishing or hunting information, please visit AlbertaRELM or call the AlbertaRELM Help Desk at 1-888-944-5494.
  • Vehicle access is now permitted at parking lots and staging areas in provincial parks and public land. Facilities like playgrounds and washrooms remain temporarily closed. For more information, visit the Alberta Parks advisories page.

For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.

Frequently Asked Questions about Hunting in Alberta

Open All

Eligible individuals may obtain special permits or licences relating to off-highway vehicle (OHV) use, discharging a weapon from an OHV or other vehicle, and the use of crossbows.

For more information contact a Sustainable Resource Development, Fish and Wildlife Division office:

It depends. First-time hunters who have not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere, must complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course.

A first-time hunter is a hunter who:

  • has not previously held a hunting licence in Alberta or elsewhere
  • has not passed a hunter competency test in Alberta or elsewhere
  • has not successfully completed a hunter education course in Alberta or elsewhere

A first time hunter who is a non-resident (Canadian) or a non resident alien does not need to complete the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course if accompanied by a licensed Guide or Hunter Host.

Those 14 to 17 years of age have the option of completing the Alberta Conservation and Hunter Education course or the Alberta Hunter Competency exam.

If you are interested in taking the course or exam, call the Alberta Hunter Education Instructors' Association.

Yes, but they may not actively participate in the hunt.

You need to buy a WIN card from a private license issuer before you can buy a license. Both can be purchased at private licence issuers.

The Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation offers an extensive list of hunting fact sheets on its website.

Read More Frequently Asked Questions

If you have more questions about purchasing hunting licences in Alberta, contact the IBM WINRELM Help Desk:

Learn more about hunting regulations in Alberta:

Updated: Sep 16, 2016