Hunting Draws

Citizen Scientist Opportunity For Hunters

The Alberta Environment and Parks Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) surveillance program is looking for volunteers to participate in a pilot program. This pilot program will instruct deer, moose and elk hunters on how to collect tissue samples for CWD testing and evaluate the accuracy of collecting the required samples. We are looking for 500 volunteers to participate for the 2021-2022 season – sample kits and training will be provided. Please contact to register for this program or with any questions.

Each year in June, Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) holds lotteries or draws for a limited number of special licences to hunt various species of big game and Merriam's turkey.

Alberta Hunting Draws Booklet

Information on the draw and how to apply is provided in the Alberta Hunting Draws booklet.

Special licences allow successful applicants to hunt a specific type of game (e.g., antlerless elk) in defined areas during a specified season.

  • Only Residents and, to a lesser extent, Non-residents (Canadians) are eligible to submit applications for these draws.
  • A Non-resident (Canadian) must apply with at least one Resident hunter in the draw for each licence for which he or she is eligible (exception: Non-resident Trophy Sheep Draw).
  • The Non-resident (Canadian) must hunt with a Hunter Host if successful in a draw for a special licence.
  • Non-resident aliens are not eligible for special licences.

To view the Hunting Draws booklet, visit the Open Publications Portal at:

Related Information

Find out more about hunting draws or review drawn applicants information:

Learn about hunting licence eligibility:

Get details on hosting non-resident or non-resident alien hunters:

Updated: Jun 9, 2021