Advisories, Corrections and Closures
Antlered Elk Season Dates For WMUs (124, 128, 142, 144, 148, 150)
The printed copies of the Alberta Guide to Hunting Regulations indicate on page 45 that Antlered and Antlerless Elk in WMUs 124, 128, 142, 144, 148, 150 share the same season, January 1st, 2021 to January 30th, 2021.
There are different dates designated for each species, the specific season dates are as follows:
- Antlered Elk - January 01 2021 to January 20 2021
- Antlerless Elk - January 01 2021 to January 30 2021
Cancellation of all Hunting Activities on CFB Wainwright WMU 728/730 due to COVID-19
In order to ensure CFB Wainwright remains operational and to protect CFB personnel from potential exposure to COVID-19, CFB Wainwright Command has notified AEP of intent to close access to CFB Wainwright for the 2020 Hunting Season. This will cancel all hunting activities within Wildlife Management Units 728 and 730.
- This cancellation includes the grouse season September 5th to September 7th.
- All big game hunting seasons beginning November 26th through to December 12th have been cancelled.
- All holders of a 2020 gamebird hunting licence will receive email notification advising them of this closure.
- All big game hunters successful in the 2020 draw will be notified that seasons are cancelled and arrangements will be made to cancel their special licence opportunities and restore their draw priority.
- It is expected that the over 250 affected hunters will be disappointed however early notification and cancellation of special licences will allow hunter to explore other opportunities.
- At present, the elk hunting seasons on CFB Suffield are still being planned in conjunction with CFB personnel. That status could change and if it does, hunters will be notified accordingly.
- If the hunts do occur, hunters can expect increased safety measures related to COVID-19 as well as potential delays each day to accommodate required safety briefings, as determined by CFB personnel.
Alberta Hunting Advisories
CFB Suffield Elk Hunt – Youth Hunter Restriction
This advisory applies to the Canadian Forces Base Suffield in southeast Alberta.
CFB Suffield has changed its access policy. Hunters under 18 years of age who have successfully drawn for a special elk hunting licence for the hunt will not be able to participate. For details, see:
Hay-Zama Wood Bison Hunt Suspended
This advisory applies to the Hay-Zama wood bison range in northwest Alberta.
The Hay-Zama wood bison hunting season has been suspended.
Updated: Oct 8, 2020