Trappers' Compensation Program

COVID-19 response: temporary closures

The Government of Alberta has temporarily closed front counters at all Fish and Wildlife offices across the province.

  • You can contact Fish and Wildlife offices using the phone numbers listed on the Fish and Wildlife - Contacts page.
  • For recreational sportfishing or hunting information, please visit AlbertaRELM or call the AlbertaRELM Help Desk at 1-888-944-5494.
  • Vehicle access is now permitted at parking lots and staging areas in provincial parks and public land. Facilities like playgrounds and washrooms remain temporarily closed. For more information, visit the Alberta Parks advisories page.

For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.

The Alberta Trappers’ Compensation Program provides a framework to compensate operators of Registered Fur Management Areas for trapping business losses related to industrial activity on Crown lands, and cabins lost to naturally caused forest fires.

A seven-member board manages the program. The board is composed of members of the following organizations, and an independent chairperson of their choosing:

  • Alberta Forest Products Association
  • Alberta Trappers’ Association
  • Alberta Treaty Indian Trapping Community
  • Alberta Metis Trapping Community
  • ATCO Electric
  • Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers

The role of the board is as follows:

  • To review program specifications and make recommendations to program participants for adjustments to compensation rates, payment schedules, etc.
  • To review, adjust and settle trapper claims.
  • To mediate and resolve claim-related disputes.
  • To document undisputed claim settlements.
  • To review fund status, financial statements, submit annual reports and make recommendations for disbursement of funds to settle claims.

The Trappers’ Compensation Program recognizes claims in five categories:

  • Damage to trapper assets.
  • Theft, vandalism, and arson.
  • Temporary disruptions to normal trapping operations.
  • Long-term loss of income caused by industrial disturbances.
  • Cabins lost to naturally caused forest fires (funded by trappers)

To learn more about the Alberta Trappers’ Compensation Program, or to find out how to make a claim, visit:

Updated: Mar 30, 2017