According to Transport Canada, approximately 150 people die each year as a result of boating-related accidents. What’s especially
tragic is that most of these accidents are preventable. We encourage you to learn everything you can about boating safety.
Read the tips below and then explore further.
Boating Safety Tips from Transport Canada
- Always wear a lifejacket or PFD (Personal Floatation Device)
- Check the forecast for weather and water conditions
- Don’t drink alcohol while boating
- Inspect all your equipment before departure
- Leave a trip/rescue plan with a responsible person
- Take an accredited Canadian boating course
One of the best things you can do to keep yourself and the people with you safe when boating is to take a boating safety
course. Find out where you can take a boating safety course:
Take some time to review your boating safety before your next fishing trip:
Sail over to the Transport Canada website for more information on boating safety:
Updated: Mar 10, 2017