Hunter Hosts

Open All

A Non-resident or Non-resident Alien can hunt big game, wolf or coyote in Alberta in two circumstances:

  • Hire a guide who has a big game outfitter-guide permit and be accompanied by a big game designated guide while hunting.
  • Hunt while accompanied by an Alberta resident (friend or relative) who has a hunter host licence. This is a non-profit arrangement as a hunter host may not guide for gain or reward.

A Hunter Host must meet the following criteria:

  • Be an adult resident of Alberta and eligible to hold hunting licences.
  • Have a WIN card and a Hunter Host Licence.

When you purchase a Hunter Host Licence online at or at any private licence issuer, you must have the WIN(s) for the non-resident (Canadians) or the non-resident alien(s) that you will be accompanying.You must ensure that the hunters you host are named on your Hunter Host Licence.

Learn more about becoming a hunter host in Alberta:

No. Hunter hosts do not provide services for gain or reward, or accept remuneration, directly or indirectly, for such services.

  • A Hunter Host may accompany a maximum of 2 hunters per year, either Non-resident (Canadian), Non-resident Aliens, or a combination thereof. Only one (1) of the Non-resident Alien hunters may be a non-relative.
  • Hunter Hosts may accompany Non-resident Aliens only if they have not done so in the previous two (2) fiscal years (April 1 – March 31). For example: If you have hosted a Non-resident Alien (NRA) in the 2015/16 fiscal year, you cannot host an NRA until 2018/19.

As a hunter host, you must report all hunting activities of the Non-resident Aliens you accompanied to an Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) district office by December 31.

You must also accompany the hunters named on your Hunter Host Licence while they are hunting big game, wolf or coyote.

Complete the following steps to become a hunter host:

  1. Go to an Alberta Environment and Protected Areas office and make an application (including a statutory declaration). Sign it and have your signature sworn.

  2. Have the Non-resident Alien sign the application and have his or her signature sworn. (If the Non-resident Alien does not have a WIN, have he or she fill out a WIN application at the same time.)
  3. Take the completed application to the Alberta Environment and Protected Areas. The application will be reviewed for final approval and entered into the automated licensing system.
  4. When you are notified that your application is approved, go to any private licence issuer or online at and purchase your Hunter Host Licence, Wildlife Certificate and the appropriate licences.

No, the hunter host can go directly to a private licence issuer or online at if hunting with a Non-resident (Canadian).

For more information about hunter hosts, please contact your local Alberta Environment and Parks (AEP) Office:

Read more frequently asked questions:

If you have more questions about purchasing hunting licences in Alberta, contact the RELM Help Desk:

Learn more about hunting regulations in Alberta:

Updated: Jul 17, 2023