COVID-19 response: temporary closures
The Government of Alberta has temporarily closed front counters at all Fish and Wildlife offices across the province.
Alberta Parks facilities, including parking lots, are also temporarily closed. For more information, visit the Alberta Parks advisories page.
For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.
Game Bird Hunting Licence and Permit Requirements
For Alberta Residents
You are an Alberta Resident if you either:
- Have your only or primary residence in Alberta AND
- Are a Canadian citizen or admitted to permanent residence in Canada OR
- Have lived in Canada for the 12-month period immediately preceding the relevant date
- Are on full-time service with the Armed Forces of Canada, and would, if an election were held under the Canada Elections
Act (Canada), be eligible to vote in Alberta under that Act.
To hunt Grouse, Partridge, Ptarmigan, Pheasant, Migratory (waterfowl) in Alberta you require:
Win Card, Wildlife Certificate, Game Bird Licence, Pheasant (if hunting pheasant); Federal Migratory Permit (if hunting waterfowl)
A Merriam’s Turkey Special Licence is available only through the hunting draw.
To find out more information about hunting draws visit:
Your WIN and other licences can be purchased online or at a Licence issuer
Federal Migratory Permits are available online, Canada Post offices and some Licence Issuers
If you need assistance purchasing your licences online, contact the RELM Help Desk:
- Toll-free in North America: 1-888-944-5494
For more information on game bird hunting licence and permit requirements, visit:
Are you an adult Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit holder who would like to mentor young hunters? Read more about Waterfowler
Updated: Jul 24, 2015