Alberta Residents

COVID-19 response: temporary closures

The Government of Alberta has temporarily closed front counters at all Fish and Wildlife offices across the province.

  • You can contact Fish and Wildlife offices using the phone numbers listed on the Fish and Wildlife - Contacts page.
  • For recreational sportfishing or hunting information, please visit AlbertaRELM or call the AlbertaRELM Help Desk at 1-888-944-5494.
  • Vehicle access is now permitted at parking lots and staging areas in provincial parks and public land. Facilities like playgrounds and washrooms remain temporarily closed. For more information, visit the Alberta Parks advisories page.

For more information about Alberta’s COVID-19 response, visit COVID-19 info for Albertans.

Game Bird Hunting Licence and Permit Requirements
For Alberta Residents

You are an Alberta Resident if you either:

  • Have your only or primary residence in Alberta AND
    • Are a Canadian citizen or admitted to permanent residence in Canada OR
    • Have lived in Canada for the 12-month period immediately preceding the relevant date


  • Are on full-time service with the Armed Forces of Canada, and would, if an election were held under the Canada Elections Act (Canada), be eligible to vote in Alberta under that Act.

To hunt Grouse, Partridge, Ptarmigan, Pheasant, Migratory (waterfowl) in Alberta you require:

Win Card, Wildlife Certificate, Game Bird Licence, Pheasant (if hunting pheasant); Federal Migratory Permit (if hunting waterfowl)

A Merriam’s Turkey Special Licence is available only through the hunting draw.

To find out more information about hunting draws visit:

Your WIN and other licences can be purchased online or at a Licence issuer

Federal Migratory Permits are available online, Canada Post offices and some Licence Issuers


If you need assistance purchasing your licences online, contact the RELM Help Desk:

  • Toll-free in North America: 1-888-944-5494

Related Information

For more information on game bird hunting licence and permit requirements, visit:

Are you an adult Migratory Game Bird Hunting Permit holder who would like to mentor young hunters? Read more about Waterfowler Heritage Days.

Updated: Jul 24, 2015